Easy Mattress Cleaning Tips
I don’t know about you but when it comes to flu season I know I go in to full deep cleaning mode because no one likes being sick for a week right? At the beginning of fall we always do a deep clean similar to a spring cleaning list. We clean all the sheets and linens, wash the windows, disinfect all toys, and clean all the mattresses.
Your mattress might not be something you think of when cleaning your home because you can’t throw it in a washer or wipe it down with windex, but it is an important part of keeping your home clean! I wanted to share some of my Easy Mattress Cleaning Tips to keep your mattress clean and disinfected!
6 Easy Mattress Cleaning Tips
1. Turn it seasonally – Unless your mattress manufacture suggests otherwise turn your mattress once a season. This will keep your mattress from forming dents from your body being in the same position every night, which would make more room for dirt to get trapped.
2. Grab the Vacuum – Once a week bring in your vacuum and give your mattress a once over to get any dust and grime that might have accumulated.
3. Use a Mattress Pad – Spills and accidents happen, make sure they don’t reach the mattress by grabbing a mattress pad that can soak up any spills.
4. Clean stains the right way – If a stain does occur make sure to clean it the correct way by using a mattress shampoo (amazon links here?) or you can make your own “Dry Suds” by placing about 1/4 cup of liquid dishwashing detergent in a small mixer bowl. Turn the mixer on, and add a few teaspoons of water, a teaspoon at a time. Be careful,the bowl will quickly fill with foam. Scrape the top layer of foam into a small bowl, and take it to the mattress. Rub the stained area gently with the foam, using a sponge or a soft brush, being sure not to wet the padding beneath. Leave the mattress exposed until it is thoroughly dry before replacing the bedding.
5. Keep bacteria at bay – To keep odor and bacteria at bay make sure you spray some disinfectant on your mattress about twice a week, Lysol works great and is approved to use on fabrics!
6. Zap out Odors – Sprinkle baking soda on your mattress and let sit for 30 minutes, then vacuum up the remains. The baking soda will absorb the extra odor and leave your mattress fresh and clean.
What are some of your mattress cleaning tips?
Also check out these cleaning tips: